Posted on

If I never ever ever see another rear trailing arm bush it will be a day too soon!
Right then I best calm down as I still have a headache from lying on my back all day yesterday in weird contorted positions and I would not want to burst a blood vessel now it’s all over, if there were ever a time to do it that would have been yesterday afternoon about 5pm.

Let’s start at the beginning. After my happy day of changing the front brakes over I decided that seeing as I had another all to myself free day I would make some real headway on the 110 by changing the trailing arm bushes. “Shouldn’t be a hard job” I thought to myself as I had a shiny new hydraulic press in the garage. It was about ten minutes after that thought I began to wish I had not started.



The old bushes were completely shot and as in everything else I have done on the 100 so far it was all covered in a good layer of rust. Happily the nuts along with the bolts came undone easily leaving me feeling that this was a good omen for the rest of the job to come. I was mistaken.

The grinder had to come out to make short work of the bolts that held on the main bush to the chassis towards the front (seriously don’t bother messing around with those little rusty buggers just go an get your grinder out and save yourself the hassle) and with that the whole arm came away with both of the old bushes still intact.
Keep your grinder out here because if yours are anything like mine you will need to cut off the front metal spacer here to then remove the old bush but this is just the start of the hell that is coming your way and is the rear bush…

I cleaned up the back end around the bush and confidently popped it into the hydraulic press. Soon enough I had it wound up way past its maximum pressure and that happy little bush just sat there not moving a millimetre. No problem I thought to myself so I turned it over to rinse and repeat from the other side. No joy there either so I dug out my drill and set to removing the rubber from the bush with that.
What a lovely smell burning rubber makes in a confined space but it was soon out (about fifteen minutes) so out came my hacksaw to cut through the metal bush outer before hammering the hell out of it to make it leave it’s comfy nest.
A quick clean up after it was gone and the polybush was quickly put into place.



Now thankfully putting the whole thing back into place on the 110 was an easy enough affair that came with a nice warm feeling of satisfaction that I had beat the bloody thing, I had won! Then I realised that there was still the other side to do!



The arms need a lick of paint but that will be in a while and now the 110 is sat the right way around facing the garage waiting for me to start stripping the front end down to remove the old N/A engine so I can drop in the 200tdi I have sat waiting.
Things are about to get interesting…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *