Posted on

You may recall in my last entry I was gloating that today was to be an extra day off for me to get covered up to my eyeballs in rust dirt and grease form the old Landy. We were to spend a wonderful day together just the two of us as Wifey was at work and the kids had buggered off somewhere else so a selfish self centred day was in install for me.

I woke up and it was raining.

Hey ho what the hell I decided to go swimming first to keep up my training for The outward Bound Trust week that’s fast approaching ( a massive thanks to all that have donated toward it I smashed my target of £500 hitting £600 so thanks again folks) and nipping to the outdoorsy shop to buy a couple of thermal tops for the event.

It was still raining. So I headed off to the local bike garage to give away another £100 for a new front tyre as winter is fast approaching and I don’t fancy sliding around in the bad weather or ending up slab side down which with my luck wouldn’t take long!

Home it was and I had just taken out my landy work kit to put on when my youngest daughter rang informing me she was on the train heading home within the hour so would I pick her up from the station. I thought to tell her if she was big enough to get a train by herself then she can catch the bloody bus as well but realising what a world of hurt and noise that would end up giving me from the Wife I told the kid to “meet me in the drop off car park”. Ha!! at least I had the pleasure of knowing she would have to lug her suitcase through the station and up two flights of stairs while fighting through the crowds of people that had just got off of the train before getting to me.

I met her on platform 5.

After a 20 minute car ride in which she didn’t stop talking even to breathe, I swear my girls must breathe through their backsides, we arrived home where I ran upstairs put the mobile in flight mode so nothing could get through and skipped out to the Landy after giving instructions on the tea being made as payment for taxi services rendered.

Todays aim was to check the brake system over from top to bottom. The wheels did not want to come off after god knows how many years stuck on but a 3 foot persuading bar on a socket soon put paid that idea and the wheels came off. It was a little dusty back there!

Both the front drums came off easy enough and at first glance didn’t look to be in too bad shape inside either.

Exploring a bit more though and the callipers were full of muck old copper grease and dust

I cleaned them up a touch and my youngest turned up with the tea then accosted into helping out with pressing the foot pedal to check on calliper movement.

The callipers on both of the front brakes worked well enough but the back drums did not want to give up their contents. Firstly the retaining screws were seized solid

A bit of WD40 sorted the problem on one side but the other side wasn’t going to play ball. I soaked it heated it and bashed it but it would not come free. In the end I had to drill it out.

Quite frankly the contents of the back drums were a mess. Seized callipers rusty brake shoes and leaks galore so at this point I decided that I was going to do a brake system rebuild. These things are going to be responsible for making me stop both on and off road so for the price of replacement from front to back I am not going to be taking any risks.

I cleaned the drums up a touch with a wire brush

and popped the wheels back on.

Whilst I had my now filthy kit on, it does amaze me how quickly I get dirty I really am like the kid who is dressed up smart to go out who’s Mum turns away for a couple of seconds and when looks again the kid is covered in paint and mud, I decided to rub down and prime up the Jerry can I bought last week at the car boot.

Yes I know the cap hasn’t been primed but my dinner was ready and I have not had it open yet.

Then online to order the brake drum rebuild kits to start and I will have to buy the new pipes and connections next month or sooner if I am allowed to hit the savings account before hand.

Landy Project Costs

Land Rover £375

Sanding Discs £11.70

Ignition Barrel £20

Heritage letter £21.75

2x Batteries and rear 1/4 light £35

Pair Battery Terminal Clamps £3.99

Floor pan nuts & bolts £6.50

Grinding disc £2.25

Under Seal £8.99

Complete set of lights £85

5 Litres Primer £24.99

4 Discovery Wheels £10.20

Rear Door £21.00

Front Door £20.00

Handbrake spring £1.50

2 Discovery wheels

Two seatbelts

Wing Mirror

2 Headlight surrounds

2 headlight frames £60

2 Front Doors £60

Nato Green Paint £36

Rear Window Seal and insert £9.99

Wiring connectors £3.00

2 tins of silver metal paint £7.00

Fuses & Sandpaper £4.50

5x tins black spray £5.00

5x more tins black spray £5.00

Clutch fluid

Exhaust putty

WD40 £8.49

Car Boot Bits £13

Front & rear shocks £59.45

Front & rear brake rebuild kits £81.62


TOTAL £999.92

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *