Posted on

I awoke this morning feeling bloody great as it is yet another day off and Wifey then walked in with a cup of tea informing me both she and my daughters were off to her sisters for dinner this evening, apparently its a weekly thing they do, so I would be by myself doing as I please…heaven!

Well I didn’t get off that easily as my youngest wanted to go swimming this morning but hey ho life is about memories eh so we jumped on our mountain bikes and went off for a couple of hours.

When I returned it was straight into shabby work gear and into the shed digging out the clutch master and slave cylinders and off to the Landy were I found this rather large leak…

It’s coming from straight above it were the shaft goes into the transfer box…I think? Would one of you knowledgeable please tell me what it is and what seal needs replacing please and how to do it, in fact you may as well just pop over and fix it for me. yea a long shot I know so just the info would be a big help 😉

So I chucked some sand over it and popped an oil tray under it and left it to its own devices for now.

Onto the clutch I headed and the first job was to get the clutch pedal and master cylinder housing out.

I unscrewed the pipe work that goes to the slave cylinder first using the 1/2 spanner.

Then I had to undo the six bolts from inside the Landy running along the bulkhead next to the clutch pedal to release the framework.

After a bit of twisting around wiring brake pipes and the such the whole thing came out with the usual Land Rover sacrifice of some skin blood and choice language.

I then undone the two bolts holding the master cylinder onto the framework and it was ready for the new one to be fitted. I nearly forgot to remove the pipework coupling housing to put on the new one but noticed it was still on just as I was throwing it into the wheely bin so that saved a scramble through week old food to find it again!

As you can see the old master was well past its best!

While the framework was out I gave it a quick rub down and a spray up in the handy black paint.

The I refitted it all and went onto the slave cylinder.

If you have never had to fit a clutch slave cylinder to your motor be thankful to whatever god you pray to! What a ballache of a job it is! The best way was to jack up the front onto axle stands then try to get yourself and tools into the tiny gap on the passenger side behind the exhaust and on top of the chassis. Sounds easy eh!

I first took off the pipework whilst trying to keep the falling rust out of my eyes and the clutch fluid from running too far up my arms! Then I removed the bottom bolt holding the slave in…BIG mistake. Because the slave was seized it then pushed up on the top bolt whilst you were trying to remove that making it impossible to keep the socket in place so I attached some thin rope and pulled the cylinder back down refitting the bottom bolt.

Then I removed the top bolt first followed by the bottom with no problems. Whilst doing my Houdini impression I fitted the slave but then the pipe coupling would not screw into it for love nor money so after ten minutes I crawled out and made a brew. I decided it had to be a thread issue of course and took a torch back with me and a very thin screwdriver. Sure enough the thread on the coupling was ever so slightly bent just after the first turn so I carefully straightened it out with the screwdriver and it popped straight in first time.

Then came the bleeding. Well long story short it didn’t really want to so after an hour of pumping pedals I remembered someone saying about reverse bleeding from the slave up with the old fashioned oil cans so I gave that a go with my eldest daughter watching the reservoir for bubbles and levels. She says there was air and I managed to stop it from overflowing as well which was nice.

There is now pressure on the clutch pedal but also some play and no amount of fannying about seems to change it But the gears do now engage. I havnt had the engine running but the wheels are off of the ground and they lock nicely when a gear is selected.

The exhaust was also retightened because I really want to get the engine running again this weekend to see if the clutch is working properly and the last time I started it it sounded like a Lancaster bomber!

So again another good day on the Landy and if it drives I think I may just pee myself with excitement just a little.

Landy Project Costs

Land Rover £375

Sanding Discs £11.70

Ignition Barrel £20

Heritage letter £21.75

2x Batteries and rear 1/4 light £35

Pair Battery Terminal Clamps £3.99

Floor pan nuts & bolts £6.50

Grinding disc £2.25

Under Seal £8.99

Complete set of lights £85

5 Litres Primer £24.99

4 Discovery Wheels £10.20

Rear Door £21.00

Front Door £20.00

Handbrake spring £1.50

2 Discovery wheels

Two seatbelts

Wing Mirror

2 Headlight surrounds

2 headlight frames £60

2 Front Doors £60

Nato Green Paint £36

Rear Window Seal and insert £9.99

Wiring connectors £3.00

2 tins of silver metal paint £7.00

Fuses & Sandpaper £4.50

5x tins black spray £5.00

5x more tins black spray £5.00

Clutch fluid

Exhaust putty

WD40 £8.49


TOTAL £845.85

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *