I had quite a lot of time on my hands today because I don’t have to be at work until this evening for my last CPC course (what a bloody waste of time and an obvious money maker for those in control but that’s another whine for another day)
SO as I looked first at the sky hoping the clouds would keep their water then at the dog who sat there with her lead in her mouth I went for a wander and contemplated what to do for the day. I had ordered some primer for the Landy over the weekend but it hadn’t arrived yet, that was until I got home! There sat on the doorstep was my big shiny tin of primer! So my day was planned!
First I poked out the Landy’s eyes that were full of water and then set to scrubbing the roof down as it still had some dirt layers and mould on from the the years it was stood.
Before the scrubbing…
After the scrubbing!
And whilst I was throwing water around I even gave the engine bay a good scrub down!
A rumbling stomach halted play as gave time for the water to dry off but then I got stuck into sanding down the bonnet and roof. This done and a wipe down later it was time for the primer to come out!
I set to using a cheap gloss roller from Wilkinsons as I had read somewhere that it worked quite well on metal. Seeing as this old motor will never be a show course car I thought I would give it a go and I have to say it works very well!
This is just the first coat and I expect it will take at least 3 to give a reasonable finish but considering I was starting with a pigs ear paintwork wise the results so far are promising! Its also really nice to see some progress on the outside rather than just underneath!
Landy Project Costs
Land Rover £375
Sanding Discs £11.70
Ignition Barrel £20
Heritage letter £21.75
2x Batteries and rear 1/4 light £35
Pair Battery Terminal Clamps £3.99
Floor pan nuts & bolts £6.50
Grinding disc £2.25
Under Seal £8.99
Complete set of lights £85
5 Litres Primer £24.99