Posted on

I’ve been looking forward to a couple of days off so I could get stuck into the Land Rover again but the weather hasn’t been on my side. I did get to do a fair bit yesterday before the heavens opened for good but today it has been raining since I got up so I shall take solace in hunting ebay for bargain parts that I need but cannot afford.

So yesterday I jumped up bright and early to the comment from Wifey of “Why don’t you have a lie in?” You would think that after 15 years together she would know I ma still a big kid at heart and with something as tempting on the drive as I have sleep is an awkward chore that just has to be done in the shortest time possible!

My plan of attack was straight forward…I wanted to weld up those holes in the passenger foot well. First off was the near side wing as this is very badly dented and out of shape and the replacement is waiting in my shed to be fitted. I disconnected all of the wiring for the lights and figured out a bolt at a time exactly where abouts they were all located by thinking to myself “well that should come off now” only to find it wouldn’t and then searching for the offending bolts they fitted as overkill at the factory.

Whilst taking off the wing I realised that the front bumper was in a bad state of affairs and could do with replacing so it was whipped off using a wheel brace and brute force.

With all of this of I could now access the front floor well without having to perform contortionist acts with a welder in my hand. The area was ground back to give me some clean metal to weld to and off I set with the welder…

The welder wouldn’t work and it took me some time to figure out why the feed wasn’t playing. It wouldn’t feed because the top couple of layers of weld had gone rusty, when I thought back to the welders last use I realised it was over four years ago so it wasn’t surprising really. With the rusty wire stripped out off I went to weld and play again. The floor pan is now hole free but the rain kicked in before I got to grind my over enthusiastic welds down so that’s my first job for when the weather clears.

The “Artic Weather heater” that’s in this Landy has bits all overt the place including this heater in front of the radiator!

So I think I will strip the lot out altogether once the bodywork is sorted.

After stripping the wing off I found the normal heater to have rusty holes in it and on the bracket mounting it to the body work so this was stripped out ready for a replacement once I get to the putting it back together stage.

The only thing ordered this week are a pair of battery clamps for the terminals. Once the weather clears I will be starting on the painting of he chassis I can reach and then the refitting of the floor pan that was removed whilst I was welding.

Landy Project Costs

Land Rover £375

Sanding Discs £11.70

Ignition Barrel £20

Heritage letter £21.75

2x Batteries and rear 1/4 light £35

Pair Battery Terminal Clamps £3.99

TOTAL £467.44

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *